Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Two Minute Mysteries!

Now for a new segment i like to call, Two Minute Mysteries! I have this battered copy of Two-Minute Mysteries by Donald J. Sobol. He wrote the Encyclopedia Brown books. So, I will write out the mystery, and you can leave your answer in the comments.

The Case of the Open Door
Working calmly and efficiently, Greg Verner hanged Brendon Trom in the attic of Trom's rented house. It was not until Verner tried to shut the front door that he hit a snag. The lock was jammed.
"Better get out of here," He thought, casting anxious glances at the dense woods surrounding the house.
Two hours later he was driving back to the house with Dr. Haledjian.
"Brendon's been morose since his divorce. I should have visited him, but nobody knew where he was hiding out. I got his address this afternoon when he telephoned me to say he was contemplating suicide. I thought you'd better come with me and perhaps have a talk with him.
"He said it was a white stucco house, 621 Delaware Avenue, over the phone," went on Verner. "Here we are."
Haledjian left the car first. Finding the front door ajar, he entered and switched on the lights. Five minutes later the two men found Brendon Trom in the attic.
As they stood silently staring at the body, a door chime sounded downstairs.
With Haledjian right behind him, Verner hastened to the backdoor. There stood a teenage girl. "Mother asked me to return this bottle of Milk to Mr. Trom," She said.
Haledjian took the milk and after she had gone he called the police.
"You'd better arrest Mr. Verner on suspicion of murder," He said when they arrived.

Why?
Leave your answer in the comments :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know but I reallly want to!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Verner said he had never been to the house. Yet he knew exactly where to go when they heard the bell ring. Normally people go to the front door but he went straight to the back door. by the way Rachael I LOVE two minute mysteries! They are so awsome and fun!!! Plus they make you think :)

    ~Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Ashlee, you got it right! I'm just sitting here in my kitchen with my jaw on the floor, u amazed me! I thought that was a hard question! Well maybe it's because you borrowed this book awhile back and you remembered. You're the reason it is so battered! :) good job Ash!

    ReplyDelete